an image diary

"And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be? ... You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream! If that there King was to wake you'd go out -- bang! -- just like a candle!"

"Hush! You'll be waking him, I'm afraid, if you make so much noise."

"Well it's no use your talking about waking him when you're only one of the things in his dream. You know very well you're not real."

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Free weight, dead lift:

lifting terms. I think they're strange and beautiful.

Ten days ago, before getting hit with fever and snot, I joined a gym. I've managed to avoid joining a gym for nearly two years. After all, I've got free access to the facilities at the college and it seemed an unnecessary expense--which is to say I've not only not been in a gym since I moved here from Ithaca but also that I must have learned nothing in grad school because it was the same story there. Cheap gym facilities on campus: why join off campus? But eventually I did join the gym in downtown Ithaca, a little grungy place I'd run to when the rest of my life was out of control.

Because my campus life is out of control. I accept it.

The new place is also small and grungy and packed to the square inch with free weights and machines. Utililty is beautiful: in the back room, two punching bags, a squat bar, a bench press, a jump rope and a set of gloves, and red brick walls where a set of belts hangs on a nail.

Oh, and the perks of a small midwestern town? They let me have a key to the place so I can make my own hours. Membership: 25 bucks a month, no deposit, no membership fees.

I went back this morning, flicked on the lights, the stereo, and got to work. Upper body day, as they say.

"and what is the use of a book...without pictures or conversations?"


[contact me: ghostwordeffigy@yahoo.com]

what o'clock it is

CURRENT MOON

live flowers