an image diary

"And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be? ... You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream! If that there King was to wake you'd go out -- bang! -- just like a candle!"

"Hush! You'll be waking him, I'm afraid, if you make so much noise."

"Well it's no use your talking about waking him when you're only one of the things in his dream. You know very well you're not real."

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

. .



All that endearing boyish enthusiasm? Every bit genuine. But he's also got presence. I have an advisee as tall, but who comes across as gangly, a reed in the wind. Standing next to Simmons is like standing next to a wonderful granite column. So don't kid yourselves. He's a sweetheart (he insisted on buying lunch), but he's no pushover. He's a quickstudy, perceptive, clearminded (I am not: I covet), easy to talk to. Another hour and I'd have told him all my secrets (did I detect a bit of Alabama drawl beside the charm?). And he'd have let me--and have remembered every one. And I would've remembered very little of what I said--because I have a poor memory for these things--and I'd have walked away the one to benefit. As I did. Though I still don't know what to do about my watch.

***

Giant Sloth. Not just an animal. Certainly not extinct.

***

"and what is the use of a book...without pictures or conversations?"


[contact me: ghostwordeffigy@yahoo.com]

what o'clock it is

CURRENT MOON

live flowers